Tuesday, September 07, 2021
Are umpires racially biased? A 2021 study (Part II)
(Part I is here .) 20 percent of drivers own diesel cars, and the other 80 percent own regular (gasoline) cars. Diesels are, on average, les...
Monday, August 30, 2021
Are umpires racially biased? A 2021 study (Part I)
Are MLB umpires racially biased? There's a recent new study that claims they are. The author, who wrote it as an undergrad thesis, menti...
Monday, July 26, 2021
DRS team fielding seems overinflated
In a previous post, I noticed that the DRS estimates of team fielding seemed much too high in many cases. In fact, the spread (standard dev...
Sunday, January 31, 2021
Splitting defensive credit between pitchers and fielders (Part III)
(This is part 3. Part 1 is here ; part 2 is here .) UPDATE, 2021-02-01: Thanks to Chone Smith in the comments, who pointed out an error. I...
Monday, January 11, 2021
Splitting defensive credit between pitchers and fielders (Part II)
(Part 1 is here . This is Part 2. If you want to skip the math and just want the formula, it's at the bottom of this post.) ------ Whe...
Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Splitting defensive credit between pitchers and fielders (Part I)
(Update, 2020-12-29: This is take 2. I had posted this a few days ago, but, after further research, I tweaked the numbers and this is the re...
View web version